Understanding the Business, Tax, and Regulatory Implications of Your Farm
This course helps early stage farmers assess and manage a variety of risks that they will face. Throughout the six weeks of the course, we will discuss topics essential for operating a viable farm business, including insurance coverage, business structures and tax information.
Beginner – This is an intro-level course supports aspiring and beginning farmers seeking to learn about the commercial, legal and tax implications of farming. Farmers outside NYS are welcome to take the course, but should know that extra legwork will be required on their part to determine the parallel agencies and regulations that apply in their state.
At the completion of this course, you will know how to:
- Describe five risks that farmers need to regularly address
- Comprehend the legal liabilities of operating a farm and selling agricultural products
- Find the resources necessary to better understand income and sales tax regulations for operating a farm.
- Evaluate various forms of business ownership and determine which will be best for you at this time
- Identify rules and regulations (for marketing, food safety, facilities, etc) that are pertinent to the type of agricultural enterprise you plan to operate
- Use insurance as a risk management tool
The bulk of the course happens on your own time, with discussions, readings, and assignments in Teachable, our virtual classroom. To add to the experience, webinars will be woven into the online interface of the course to allow you to meet on a weekly basis to learn from presenters and ask questions in real time. If you miss one, they are always recorded and posted for later viewing.
Wed. Feb 26 - Apr 1, 2020 with webinars every Wed evening from 7-8pm Eastern.
Steve Hadcock is a Cornell Cooperative Extension Educator with the Capital Area Agricultural and Horticulture Program in NY with educational responsibility for working with new and beginning farmers. He provides education on an individual and group basis to those interested in beginning a farm and for those who have been farming for less than 10 years.
StartWeek 1 Webinar Slides, Join Link, and Recording
StartFORUM: Introduce Yourself: Meet Your Peers
StartTest Yourself: What Do You Know?
StartVideo: Farmers Talk About Regulations, Taxes, & Insurance
StartGuide to Farming in NY: Risk Management Fact Sheet
StartACTIVITY: Where Are You Vulnerable? What Will You Work on?
StartFORUM: What Would You Like to Know About Legal Liabilities?